The Find a Replacement Course function helps students find courses to complete at another school that may be transferred back to the home school that they currently attend.
Follow the steps below to find a replacement course:
- Key in the name of the school you currently attend:
In the example above, the selected school is Southwest Minnesota State University.
- Key in the department for the course of interest:
Courses that match the criteria keyed into Step 1 and Step 2 will populate below the Department field (in the example below, for the Biology department):
Alternately, use the "Add it Yourself" link to manually add a course not listed (i.e., may not be in the catalog yet, or may be too new to be listed).
- Add a course from the populated list using the green Add button (). Selected courses will be moved to the right side of the screen under the "Courses" section of the Courses page:
Continue adding courses from different departments, as needed. You may modify the list of courses in the green Courses section on the right using the Delete button ( ); press "Enter" on the keyboard for successive deletions, or use the Delete All link in the header row.
- Click Search for Matches ().
- The Matches page generates a list of schools (100 per page) in the CollegeSource subscriber network that accept the transfer credit, listed from highest to lowest number match ("# of # Match") and then alphabetically.
In the example above, nearly 200 schools were found with matches based upon user search criteria.
Filter and Sort
Filter and Sort options can narrow the matches even further to meet your specific needs. Two areas allow for filtering the Schools Found results:
- Filter Text Field (top of page) allows filtering by school or by city
- Sort/Filter Box (top right of page) allows sorting and filtering:
- Distance (miles or zip code)
- School Type
- 4-year or 2-year institution
A red "no matches found" alert appears at the top of the page when filtering criteria returns no matches.
Select fewer filters or clear existing filters and try again.
For example, you may narrow the matches to only include those schools that reside within a certain distance of your zip code (in the example below, less than 50 miles):
Use the Sort/Filter box on the right to focus only on a specified selection of the list. Also note the number of matches excluded based upon the selected filter.
Sort rearranges all of the matches to show in a particular order that the user dictates from the drop-down menu:
- Best Match (top, default)
- Distance Increasing
- Distance Decreasing
- Population Increasing
- Population Decreasing
- Tuition Increasing
- Tuition Decreasing
Filter selects only certain matches to show that fit within the parameters selected by the user from the drop-down menu:
- Any distance (top, default)
- Less than 25 miles
- Less than 50 miles
- Less than 100 miles
- Less than 250 miles
- Less than 500 miles
- Online only
Under the distance filter, change the zip code at any time by clicking on the current zip code [of the school name(s) input]:
A text field allows the user to input a custom zip code or to reset the zip code to the current location via the compass button ().
- Any state (top, default)
- <alphabetical listing of states>
- Any tuition amount (top, default)
- Up to $
- Up to $$
- Up to $$$
- Up to $$$$
- Undergrads (student population)
- Any population (top, default)
- Up to 3,600
- Up to 7,750
- Up to 14,300
- Up to 22,750
- School Type (e.g. Public, Private)
- Any school type (top, default)
- Private not-for-profit
- Private for-profit
- Any year (top, default)
- 4 year
- 2 year
Display only those schools selected as your Favorites ( → ) on the School Results page
Search for a Particular School
Students have the ability to search for a specific school of interest on both the green and blue paths when viewing matches. Click the Looking for a particular school? hyperlink above the text field:
The "Select the school you're looking for" pop-up window appears:
From the corresponding drop-down menus, first select a state and then a school. Click Close to close the window or View Matches to select matches at the named school.
- Scroll to the school of interest on the Matches page and click its blue Match button:
- The School Results page lists the courses a student may take at this school to transfer back to the school currently attending, and then the courses that currently have no matches.
No Matches Found
If the school has no matches, a red warning message appears:
(see Non-Participatory Schools)
"No matches found" does not mean for certainty that students cannot take a class at the selected school, but rather is an indication that their current school has not looked at any of the courses there with respect to the class they want credit for. Students may always contact their school to see if they can pre-approve a transfer course if that school is truly the best fit for individual course needs.
In this example, taking Biology 1024 at Century College will count for a Biology 100 at Southwest Minnesota State University. Upon successful completion, that credit will transfer back to the home school.
Additional information about the school, including contact information, is provided on the right side of the page.
Add the school to your list of Favorites by clicking on the star icon: ↔
If the School Profile displays a generic building icon instead of a school logo and/or has missing information, this may indicate that the school does not participate in Transferology. In this case, contact the school directly for more information.
CollegeSource gathers and shares school information from the schools, but in no way makes decisions regarding a student's college transfer.