|Standard view and xml view are compared side-by-side using red numbered labels to draw comparisons.|
Pages are configured within the XML file using the following format:
See the sections below for more details on these elements.
1 - pages
Necessary for defining options and page(s)
2 - options
List of possible values for a column
Requires a unique name property. To retrieve values dynamically, a provider class must be defined using the provider property. For example:
<options name="dprogs" provider="example.DProgProvider"/>
The example above defines a list of options called dprogs and retrieves the list of values using the class called example.DProgProvider.
To define a static list of values, specify a list of option elements specifying the name and label used within the row. The name is the value that will be saved to the u.achieve database, while the label will be displayed in the drop-down.
<options name="dprogs"> <option name="CIS" label="Computer Science" /> <option name="HR" label="Human Resource Management" /> </options>
3 - page
At least one page must be defined within the pages element. The page element defines the columns and permissions associated with the content to be presented.
Three attributes are defined within the page element:
- Name - Unique name of the page
- Label - Description of the page displayed at the top of the HTML screen
- urlBase - URL name used to display the form. For example, "courses" for the course list, add, edit, and view pages.
Within the page element, several elements can be defined:
- Permissions - Specifies the roles (defined in the Dashboard application) used for the create, read, edit, and delete events
- Masterview - Specifies permissions for the "list" view and the filters available
- Columns - Specifies the list of columns to display within the list and form
- Subpage - Defines a list of child rows. Used for the student degree program/marker and transfer evaluation pages, by default.
4 - permissions
Used within the page, masterView, detailView, and column elements.
Four properties can be specified:
The value within each property is the name of the role (defined in the Dashboard application). Another possible value is "NOBODY", which prohibits access to the event.
5 - masterView (page)
Used within the page element, masterView is used to specify sorting, grouping, and filtering information on the list page.
Contains the following properties:
- defaultSortBy - The column name (specified within the list of columns) that the list of data will initially be sorted by. Users can subsequently sort the data by a column designated as sortable.
- sortAsc - The order in which the data should initially be sorted. Possible values are Asc or Desc for ascending and descending, respectively.
- groupBy - Specify the column name to group by.
- editColumnRenderer - Renderer used to control the display of the edit column.
- deleteColumnRenderer - Renderer used to control the display of the delete column.
When used within the masterView, the permissions element specifies the role allowed to view the list screen.
The filter option defines which columns should be available to use for filtering the data. Each filter consists of a drop-down containing the list of unique values for that column.
6 - subpage
Allows a page to be displayed within another page. (For example, the details of a transfer course being displayed on the transfer evaluation list screen.)
7 - columns
List of columns to display in the list or form. The columns element requires one or more column elements defined within it.
8 - column
Defines a field and how it is presented within the list or form.
The following attributes can be specified:
- Name - Unique name of the column
- Label - Text to be displayed to identify the column
- Description - Short description of the column
- Sortable - Specifies whether the column can be sorted in the masterView; possible values are true and false
- Default - Default value to assign to the column
- Renderer - Name of the Java class used to render the column
- Format - Formatting pattern (e.g., "date:MM/dd/yyyy h:mm aaa" or "number:#0.00"). Controls the display of a field, not the way it is stored in the database.
- Align - Left/Right/Center alignment values
- width - length of column
9 - masterView (column)
Defines how a column should be displayed in the list view of a page
- Align = Left/Right/Center alignment values
10 - detailView
Specifies how a column is displayed in the detail form.
- Input type - The HTML element type to use. Possible values are text, textarea, menu, and checkbox. Defaults to text.
- Options - List of options to use for a drop-down menu
- Max Length - Maximum number of characters allowed
- Allow Blank - If false, this field is required
- Case - Forces input to upper or lower case